- Many government-run household hazardous waste (HHW) programs are temporarily closing their year-round HHW facilities, postponing HHW drop-off events, or greatly reducing their hours.
- While most paint stores remain open, some have reduced their hours or are otherwise changing operations to minimize physical contact with customers. Many of these stores have asked us to temporarily remove them from the PaintCare site locator.
- PaintCare has cancelled its own paint drop-off events through June. Beginning in July, drop-off events will resume in areas where allowed under local guidance. Visit state pages on the website to find information about local paint drop-off events.
- PaintCare’s pickup service for large volumes of paint (200+ gallons) has resumed. Customers may submit requests at www.paintcare.org/pickup.
Know before you go:If you do plan to take leftover paint to a drop-off location for recycling, take precautions:
- Contact PaintCare drop-off sites in advance to confirm hours and availability before arriving.
- Follow the CDC’s recommendations for protecting yourself and others from the spread of COVID-19, which can be found at cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html. These include guidance on frequent hand washing, avoiding close contact with others, and other protective measures.
- Do not visit PaintCare sites if you are sick or if you are at higher risk from severe illness. Find the CDC’s guidance on this at cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html.