Products We Accept
What Products Are Accepted by PaintCare?
PaintCare sites accept house paint as well as primers, stains, sealers, and clear coatings such as shellac and varnish. Accepted products, also referred to as “PaintCare products” and “architectural coatings,” are the same ones that carry the PaintCare fee when purchased.
PaintCare sites do not accept aerosols (spray cans), solvents, and products designed and labeled to be used for industrial or non-architectural use.
To be accepted for drop-off, PaintCare products must be in their original containers of no larger than 5 gallons in size, must have the original manufacturer’s printed label on the container, and must be covered with a secured lid. We cannot accept open or leaking cans.
Please review the detailed list below of PaintCare products and non-PaintCare products.
- PaintCare Products vs. Non-PaintCare Products
Contact to request this fact sheet in a different language.
The following are PaintCare products included in the program. When purchased, the PaintCare fee is applied. These products are accepted at no additional cost when dropped off at PaintCare’s participating drop-off sites.
- Interior and exterior architectural paints: latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based, enamel (including textured coatings)
- Deck coatings, floor paints (including elastomeric)
- Primers, sealers, undercoaters
- Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, urethanes (single component)
- Waterproofing concrete/masonry/wood sealers and repellents (not tar or bitumen-based)
- Metal coatings, rust preventatives
- Field and lawn paints
The following are non-PaintCare products and are not included in the program. When purchased, the PaintCare fee is not applied. They are not accepted at PaintCare’s participating drop-off sites.
- Paint thinners, mineral spirits, solvents
- Aerosol paints (spray cans)
- Auto and marine paints
- Art and craft paints
- Caulking compounds, epoxies, glues, adhesives
- Paint additives, colorants, tints, resins
- Wood preservatives (containing pesticides)
- Roof patch and repair
- Asphalt, tar and bitumen-based products
- 2-component coatings
- Deck cleaners
- Traffic and road marking paints
- Industrial Maintenance (IM) coatings
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) (shop application) paints and finishes
Containers that are leaking, empty, or without the original printed manufacturer’s label are not accepted at drop-off sites.
Product Definition and Notices
When clarification is needed about whether products or product types are considered PaintCare products and subject to the PaintCare fee, PaintCare publishes additional notices. Find these notices in PaintCare’s Manufacturers section.